Highfield

History.co.uk

To change your logo go to the 'Page Master' under the 'Design' menu

Highfield School 1848-1938

A big thank you to J.I.W. for writing this brief history of the school. A fuller version of the school history, along with more information about the people, pictures and a lot more beside, can be found in the excellent book 'Diary of a School – Highfield 1849- 2009' , Compiled by Jo Ladkin and Isobel White.

Painting of Highfield school

Thanks to Gill and David Roberts for this old picture of Highfield School.

Appointment of a Board of Managers
The first head, Mr Winser, is appointed

The South Stoneham and Portswood National Schools open for the first time, to be open every day, except Saturday; 9 – 12, in the morning in the afternoon 2 – 5 in the summer and 2 – nearly dusk in the winter for children from age 6 yrs of age. Parish residents 2d/wk one child 1d/wk additional children, outside parish a higher amount not exceeding 6d/wk. 6 weeks holiday a year
Children & staff to attend Divine Services on days when school is open

Manager’s give permission for:
• two pupil teachers to be apprenticed
• the boys school room to be lengthened (toward church institute) and the class room enlarged
• discussion to rent a field as an addition to the playground

Evening School to be carried out by Master and pupil teachers

School extended into boys playground

Siblings could be admitted from the age of 5
Request for additional land for school use
Fees increased: 2d per child to be lowest charge

Number of classes reduced from 6 to 5
Reference to Sunday School

Change of name to South Stoneham, Highfield & St Denys National School

200 pupils on books – under New Educational Bill school can accommodate 318 children

Entry age raised to 7 years unless equal to standard 1 work
Porch to Girls’ entrance considered

Reconstruction of school toilets, Drains connected to Mains Drainage, water laid on to school premises by advice of Public Officer of Health

Re infants: Gallery to be constructed in present girls room & additional cloakroom to be provided in girls’ lobby
Infants’ class opened to fill vacancies caused by the opening of St Denys Board Schools

Reference to the South Stoneham & Highfield National Schools

Reference to Kindergarten
The school has been enlarged and repaired during the holidays

Government introduces free education for all – to 11 years of age
New stove fixed in large classroom for cookery class

New classroom for infants opened (further extension towards Institute)
 
National School leaving age raised to 12

Inspectors report, no. on books 355 (the school is officially overcrowded!)

Age for total exemption raised to 14

School taken over by County Borough Council under 1902 Act

Reference to babies class
Instructions have been received from LEA to refuse admission to children under 5 yrs of age or from outside borough boundaries

The School name and no. now - Southampton: Highfield C of E School no. 8

School capacity recalculated: mixed school 222, infant class 57 children
Surplus children to be transferred to Portswood County School

Inspector’s report notes that all doors open inwards and might cause difficulties in case of a panic.
60 – 70 children residing in country area transferred to the new school at Swaythling, leaving 199 in mixed school and 40 in infant room

Inspectors report – there is no special accommodation for the Teachers and doors still open the wrong way

Doors re-hung

Clarification of school leaving age –finish at the end of the term in which become 14.
School year changed to run from April 1st.

School is now known as Southampton: Highfield C of E no 10

Boys playground enlarged to approx 5720 sq ft (from Vicarage land)

Interior of school re-decorated, roof over-hauled, new door to girls cloakroom, repaired windows and created an overhead window in Infants room, had the lavatory basins repaired and lowered in girls’ playground and ordered basins for the boys.

Coke shed caught fire

Schoolhouse has become – a teacher’s room, storeroom, lavatory etc, doorway created between the school and the house
First direct contribution from the LEA for the school library

Electric light installed, Girls’ and infants’ ‘washery’ enlarged and enclosed and a drinking fountain added